View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you help child #1 "adjust" to the arrival of new baby?

The Kid was 26 months when the baby was born. First thing that we did was move him into a toddler bed when he was 18 months (around the time we found out that we were pregnant) and closed up the crib so that he wouldn't associate it with him, kwim? Everynight I pray with him and started to add in the prayer "and bless baby daniel."

I tried to include him in as much of the baby preparation as I could. Showing him pictures of babies and telling him that one of those is in mommy's belly; u/s pics; baby stuff shopping. I talked to him often about the coming baby (more so the closer it got to my due date). When he first met the baby it was love at first sight, even if he does get a little too rough when playing with him. He did show a bit of jealousy, mostly wanting to play with me when I'm feeding the baby (he tells me to put the baby down), and wanted to be held a lot the first few weeks (it started when it dawned on him that the baby was here to stay). That I believe was mostly because he was potty training around the same time and that he had mamma all to himself up till then. I've made sure that he gets plenty of alone time with me as well as play time with his brother. And I'm telling him things like, look! the baby is looking at you and smiling! he likes what you're doing, and so on and so forth. I think we've had a smooth transition and I can tell that they're going to be the best of friends. HTH
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote