View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #34
Shaunam
Registered Users

Re: Mom's of young teen girls.. need some advice..

I went through that with my mom when I was a preteen. She bought me some bras and told me it was "time to start wearing them". She bugged me about it for a while but I needed to do it in my own time. I think I started wearing them when I was 11 (started needing them at 9 though). I don't think it will do any good to keep on her about it. Bras are uncomfy when you first try them and they take a LOT of getting used to. She probably IS trying them on, but maybe she's self-concious about how they make her chest look or she finds them too uncomfortable. The "covering them up" thing is mostly likely a phase and just like everything else, if you push too hard, she'll rebel more. Let her do it on her own.

I also didn't tell my mom when I got my period. I just wasn't comfortable talking about that stuff with her. Partly because I just wasn't comfortable with that stuff anyways and partly because I could tell she was uncomfortable to. I eventually did tell her a few months later when I really needed some pads.

We also were never able to talk about boys and sex. She was emtionally distant because she was bi-polar and didn't hug much.

But after all that I'm SO close with my mom now. We had a rough time when I was a teen, but she's my best friend now. She's been there for both my kids' births. We help each other out all the time. Go out to lunch and there's nothing we can't talk about.

I'm just telling you this so you know it probably won't last forever. My mom and I never discussed our tense relationship, it just all kind of fell into place when I was about 19 or so.