View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #24
emmiebaur
Registered Users
seller

Re: heres another question? medicated or non medicated birthing?

You can do it if you really want to. I was crushed at having to be induced for severe pre-eclamsia with my first and I ended up having an interthecal placed when I was 8 cm. I was also on a muscle relaxer to prevent me from having seizures due to high blood pressure, so I was stuck in bed. Not fun. With DS, I worked hard to keep my BP low. I labored at home until I saw some spots of blood (which I thought meant 5 cm dilated). I was considering having pain meds again (between contractions, LOL) as we drove to the Hospital because I was feeling a lot of pain in my lower back. When I got there I was complete, so 10 minutes later DS was born. I had one of those balance balls that I labored on during hard contractions, and DH applied so much counterpressure on my lower back (with a tennis ball) he said he thought he was going to hurt me! But it felt good. I did lamaze style breathing to help me focus on something other than pain. Now, if I'd have had a 20 hour in-Hospital labor, things might have been different. For me, if it got to the point that I was so worn out I couldn't cope anymore, pain meds would have come into play. That's how it was with DD. But unlike your appendix, the labor pain builds so it's not hard transition contractions for 12 hours... It's a mind over matter thing!