View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
spryght
Registered Users
seller

Re: couple of newbie questions - help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
1 - I am looking at the medela pump in style advance. Any drawbacks to that, things I should know?
I have a Medela Freestyle that I love, love, love. Works basically the same as the PISA but has a rechargeable battery and attachments for hooking the bottles to a nursing bra so you can pump hands free.

Quote:
2 - I will only be able to pump once a day at work, around 11 or 11:30-ish. I can pump again after 3, but I could also just cross the street and pick up the baby and nurse at the sitters then, too, which I'd rather do. I've been reading about people needing to pump multiple times a day while at work. Has anyone successfully done it with just one pumping session while at work?
How long will you be at work? I'm gone from my LO about 10 hours and she has 12oz of milk and some baby food while I'm gone (I didn't go back to work full time until LO was 6 months, worked part time from 3-6 months which was actually harder milkwise). Another possibility is pumping one time during the night after your LO goes to sleep or in the morning before she wakes up. Also hope that you are a good producer for the pump.

Quote:
3 - What would you suggest i stock up on before birth? I'm thinking nipple butter, but what else? I'm making my own breast pads, and am looking for nursing bras and such.
I like the spray on lanolin myself.

Quote:
4 - How long was it until you were at a stable bra size after giving birth? Maybe that's an ignorant question, but with dd, by boobs were HUGE right after birth, then shrunk right back when I did not nurse. How do I know what size bra to get? I'm a 34B pre-pregnancy and am about a 36C right now.
Not sure about this as I never changed sizes much myself, but I have seen several places that suggest getting a couple of sleep bras or nursing tanks for the period right after birth. They are a bit stretchier and less fitted so they allow for size changes better.

Quote:
5 - My dh doesn't want to buy a pump until we know if I'm going to be successful at bf'ing, but I am concerned about building up a freezer stash...I have a manual pump now, would that be enough to begin with, or should I really get a good electric pump now or just after birth to really get a good stash going?
I personally believe that one of the biggest contributors to nursing success is just deciding that it will be successful, that and education. That's the basis that I used when deciding whether to buy a pump before my LO was born or not. Of course I bought it.

Quote:
6 - I'm terrified of the baby not taking a bottle - my bff's ds did that and she had to quit work. What bottles/nipple combos have worked for you? I am also concerned about getting bpa free bottles, but glass is not an option b/c the sitter doesn't want them around the other kids - too much chance they'll break.
They aren't cheap, but we finally ended up with the old style adiri nursers. Alot of this is trial and error with your LO. We went through several bottles before we found the one that didn't choke or overwhelm our dd.

Quote:
7 - if you wish you'd known one thing or done one thing differently when you started, what is it?
Trust your body and your baby. Make sure you educate yourself as much as possible so that if the people at the hospital are telling you something that doesn't sound quite right you can get a second opinion. Just because someone is an LC doesn't mean they really are supportive of nursing.

Good luck and congratulations,
Amy