View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
tammilf
Registered Users
seller

Re: couple of newbie questions - help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post

1 - I am looking at the medela pump in style advance. Any drawbacks to that, things I should know?
I have used the original and the advance...like the advance very much. Both are a little bulky in the bag and all. The freestyle appears to be much smaller.

Quote:
2 - I will only be able to pump once a day at work, around 11 or 11:30-ish. I can pump again after 3, but I could also just cross the street and pick up the baby and nurse at the sitters then, too, which I'd rather do. I've been reading about people needing to pump multiple times a day while at work. Has anyone successfully done it with just one pumping session while at work?
I try to feed or pump before leaving for work, then at 10ish and 2ish. If I feed early-ish (6ish) and don't pump, I am leaking by 10. So you may want to try to train your body for the schedule you will have before you go back to work. (I don't mean don't feed your baby between 7 - 11...but to maybe try to offer a bottle of expressed milk rather than breast during that time...should give you a chance to see how she/he will take the bottle too.)

Can you work out a chance to do two pumpings at work for 6-8 weeks? Then taper off. Drop to one pumping once or twice a week, gradually dropping it to one more often, til you only pump the once regularly.

Quote:
3 - What would you suggest i stock up on before birth? I'm thinking nipple butter, but what else? I'm making my own breast pads, and am looking for nursing bras and such.
These are more for when you are pumping, so not urgent before birth. I use four bottles while pumping, have up to 4 in the fridge and send 3-4 to dc. So lots of bottles. Also a plan for freezing storage, either bags or cube trays, plus some kind of container in the freezer.

Quote:
5 - My dh doesn't want to buy a pump until we know if I'm going to be successful at bf'ing, but I am concerned about building up a freezer stash...I have a manual pump now, would that be enough to begin with, or should I really get a good electric pump now or just after birth to really get a good stash going?
If you can swing it, it will add to your chances of being successful. Manual was very tough for me. You could check into the cost of rental for a month? Then purchase one if you want a personal one after that. Personally, I would just buy it in the first place. Make sure you shop around on cost. Most places will price match and I got my PISA - Limited edition for about $75 cheaper than the store was retailing it and $100+ cheaper than some online listings.

Quote:
6 - I'm terrified of the baby not taking a bottle - my bff's ds did that and she had to quit work. What bottles/nipple combos have worked for you? I am also concerned about getting bpa free bottles, but glass is not an option b/c the sitter doesn't want them around the other kids - too much chance they'll break.
I think introducing the bottle early-ish can help this, especially if you are not having latching/feeding problems....I mean a bottle now and then after 6-8 weeks. I think most babies manage this ok.
The glass bottles I have seen are pretty sturdy, but there are bpa free pretty easily available. We use the medela.

Quote:
7 - if you wish you'd known one thing or done one thing differently when you started, what is it?
For my first lo, I wish I had the electric pump before we got home. He struggled to latch and I was badly engorged. (I was pretty engorged with lo #2, but she is a nursing champ, so I was not as uncomfortable.)
OH....and nurse as soon as you can after you deliver. I think this made a world of difference for us w/ #2. She nursed for a long time right away and then slept almost the next 8 hrs or so (barely interested in nursing). Then when she perked up again she did fine. With ds...he was away from me for about an hour, then nursed a little..then sleepy, sleepy.... then struggled. I don't think he got the practice during the natural instinct window... (We really struggled for awhile with him, but successfully bf til he was 22 ms, so you can get through rough times, too.)

Sorry so long...good luck!
tammilf is offline   Reply With Quote