View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #22
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: couple of newbie questions - help?

Great advice from these ladies!

I actually have 2 manual and one electric pump. I do like my Avent Isis manuel pump. This has always been my best results pump. I also have a Medela Harmony manual. The double electric one I have is called Bailey Comfort but it is not very good.

I introduced DS to a bottle at 2 weeks. I took a water aerobics class once a week so he had a bottle once a week from 2-8 weeks. The first two time, he would not take it but he eventually got it. Some suggestions I got in that time was to sit him up more than normal and burp after every 1/2 ounce. The idea is that it takes much less time to bottle feed and the feeling of fullness takes about 20 minutes to set in. I did have a problem around 3 -4 months were he started to prefer the bottle so I had to limit it's use to once a week or less. That is not something that would be an option for you but I would limit his bottles at home if that becomes a problem.

Definetly build a freezer supply. I liked to keep about 50-60 oz in the freezer at a time. That way I never felt tied down to DS. I always knew that if I needed to leave he would have enough BM. Try to keep as much of a schedule as possible so that you can maintain your supply.

Remember that the endless hours of nursing will pass. I felt like in the beginning, he was going to always take an hour to nurse. Now at 1 year, it is 5 mins maybe 4 times a day. It will pass. But those early days should be focused on nursing, especially right after birth, so that you can build a super strong bond and BFing relationship. Remember that most of the time, the solution to the problem is to nurse more( low supply, plugged duct, slow weight gain, and other problems) Latch is important so make sure it is right before the bottle is introduced.

Also know that it is possible to continue to BF if the baby won't take a bottle or you can't pump well. It is not an all or nothing. I have met a number of moms that had bottle refusers. They would nurse before work, on lunch and for longer periods in the evening and night. In the daycare I work in, we have had a number of babies like this. It also gets easier once they start solids b/c then you could get through the day with only one or no pumping/ bottle at the sitters.

I agree that alot of nursing success is mental. Prepare your self before hand. I think that LLL is a great help. I started going to my hospital's breastfeeding support group twice a week after DS was born. I still go occasionally to weigh DS. They are a great help. DO not be afraid to ask. The hard work will pay off.

Well good luck. I wish you all the success. You know that you have us to support you!

Last edited by sdavis514; 05-08-2008 at 10:52 PM.
sdavis514 is offline   Reply With Quote