View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #27
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I'm ashamed of myself (re: discipline..long)

I didn't have time to read all the other posts, so excuse me if I am repeating what others have said!

I have given my DS (almost 4) a swat on his butt more times than I would like and what actually made me realise it wasn't something I liked was when I saw DH do it. I saw red. Then I realised that if I got that upset with his own father spanking him, then I needed to stop myself. Now, he didn't get spanked for no reason or for small things, but for things such as when he ran across a busy street and scared the life out of me (I think to this day I would have responded the same) I am trying to do the same thing you are. What I have started doing is that everytime I feel like he needs a spank, I stop, and think about what would work better. Sometimes talking works, sometimes time outs, sometimes nothing really works so I try and get his mind off of it. I try and decide what is really important. If it is something small, I try and laugh it off. My mother actually taught me that because I called her up crying one day because Riley wasn't listening (just like his daddy, he has selective hearing, lol) and she asked me if it was really that big of a deal. I decided it wasn't. He wasn't doing anything bad, I just wanted him to come and see me. I don't fight him on little things, just things where he could hurt someone or himself. It is a tough road and if you are determined to do it and have everyone else on your side, you can do it! Sometimes it is easier to resort back to what you are used to, but remember that he is still quite young and really doesn't understand a whole lot. He still needs to learn some things.

I hope I make some sense. It is late and I haven't gotten a whole lot of sleep! LOL! Good luck and good for you!
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote