Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supplementing and diaper washing routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I was very fortunate. When my DS was gaining very slowly, our pediatrician took a good look at him. He could see he was developing well, wasn't jaundiced, was getting enough to eat. And he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Some kids are just slower to gain than others." And left it at that.

If everything but the number on the scale is on target, I wouldn't supplement. I would nurse on demand, and make it a point to feed him at least every 3 hours, if not more, even overnight, even if he's sleeping soundly.
I agree with what she said - although I do regret the waking at night thing b/c in the long run it wasn't worth the lost sleep for all!! My milk is really "thin" - it's been jokingly called the skim milk of breast milk by others , but both kids have managed to thrive on it and nothing else - although they just don't gain as much. Both started out big for me - 7 lbs 4 oz and 8 lbs 6 oz (did I mention my weight when going into labor was a measly 130 lbs?? and they were both weeks early), went right back to birth weight within a week or less then stabilized and have both grown very slowly since. I've gotten nothing but praise from my peds for sticking with it so long. Maybe you could get a second opinion from a more BF-friendly ped?