View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
queenjane555
Registered Users

How much spitting up is ok?

My foster baby is the first baby i've formula fed, my older son was completely breastfed until he weaned at 3.5yrs, and frankly i dont really remember the finer details of his babyhood (like whether he spit up alot)....foster baby is now almost four months old. When he first came (at three weeks) i remember thinking how great it was that i didnt have to change his clothes all the time, he never spit up, or if he did it was just like a little burp....we had to switch from Similac to Enfamil because that is what WIC provides, and around that time i noticed a big increase in his spitting up, to the point where he was spitting up ALOT even an hour after he ate....i would need to change his whole outfit, sometimes it would be all over me or the floor. (ewww).

So, i bought Similac out of my own pocket, and i'm giving him bottles that are about 1/3 to 1/2 enfamil and 1/2 similac, which seems to decrease the spitting up a bit but he still does it. I keep a bib on him at all times plus a cloth diaper nearby, and still sometimes need to change him.

I have NO idea if all this is normal, if its the enfamil, if its formula in general (how does one know they need to switch to soy, or to a "gentle" formula, etc??) He doesnt really seem to be in pain or anything, uncomfortable like i would imagine he would if he were lactose intolerant or something. He isnt gassy at all(thank you Dr Brown)....

I'm so irritated with the WIC nutritionist because she said that Similac and Enfamil were exactly the same "like Coke and Pepsi" (uhhh, lady, those are completely different!), and yet they have different ingrediants according to their label...but are they really so different that one would be tolerated and the other not? I wonder, if the dr wrote a script for Similac, if WIC would provide that. I know another foster mom is getting a Similac product for her f.baby, but its a special preemie formula.

Advice?

Katherine
queenjane555 is offline   Reply With Quote