View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Shelsi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Moving to DC! Good Neighborhoods? Places to Avoid?

It's not a done deal just yet but dh has a job opportunity in DC, particularly at either the pentagon or Bolling AFB, we're not sure yet which location it would be it. If this comes through for us then it's gonna happen fast and I imagine we will be out there in the next 3 weeks or so. So I've got some homework to do on DC!

We've never been out there, never even visited. Right now we live in Arizona...I think DC will be quite the culture shock for us!

What are some nice neighborhoods that we should be looking at? We'd prefer dh be able to take public transportation to work since we only have one car. Also a neighborhood with a park and some activities for the kids would be great. Of course the more "natural" the better but if I'm the only homebirther or cloth diaperer on the street I'll be cool with that too.

We really don't know yet if we will rent or buy. Nor do we know our price range for housing. It's sort of hard to figure out since we've never been out there and he is getting a huge jump in salary but we don't know how much of that will be eaten up by the jump in the cost of living, kwim? He'll be making around 90K though if that helps any. I'm thinking that if we buy that we'd be looking at a townhouse? I'm guessing that's the most we could afford.

So please, fill me in on neighborhoods to check out and those to avoid!