View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OMG homework driving me nuts!...

We were in a SMALL charter school only 80 kids from K-8th and it was multi-age, very earhty and open to the kids being who they are and I mean they had structure and rules but they were not so regimended on sitting quiet forever and doing worksheets they learned a lot through song and play and hands on..they had yoga and music and movement and aikido and learned 100 songs and 100 poems by the years end they also learned all cultures and I was sooooooooo in love with his school and teacher and kids and parents, they were like a family to us. The best part is they had the highest test scores too they scored 10 out of 10 on star testing so if anyone wanted to argue that our kids were not learning through play and song they were dead wrong! It was the hardest part about the move for me.

The new school is a Magnet school...in SD the schools offered are not the greatest many are HUGE and this is an alternative learning school I have to admit the children are all very polite and happy and his teacher is very sweet..it too is small, less than 300 and its k-12th grade. The K and first are seperate from the older kids. His class only has 14 students where as his old one had 20. This school is more the public style than our charter school. I thought being that it was also earthy and alternative I would be in a school similar to the one we left, but I know the one we left is a one of a kind and I would never find one similar. Even the private and charter schools in SD do not offer anything close to our previous school and this is as close as I could get....
I did ask her about homework and she has reduced it to 2-4 work sheets a night which is manageable and he is learning to deal with it. The weekend is a nice break and thank heavens she does not send home work for the weekend I know many kids who have weekend work, that I WOULD refuse to do!...
As for the SID, at our previous school it was NEVER an issue EVER...she accomodated him for rug time letting him sit on the outer rug so no one would "touch" him she would let the aides know not to touch him and if he blew up at them for touching him it was something he was talked to about but it was understood it feels like pins or that he is being punched. He was seperated from children that would make his situation worse and the whole issue of noise was never a problem I can't remember a time they were required to stay completely quiet except when the teacher was reading aloud and he was fine staying quiet because seh was his background noise. SO his doctor said until it is an issue at school I want to leave it off his record...also with us moving he thought any OT would be pointless as we would start over when we move...I am now in the process of getting a new doc here in SD and the good thing about SD is there are facilities for SID children! I do A TON of home OT as I am a behavoiral consultant and I know what he needs work on and he has come a LONG way. I know now that in the public school system he will need OT for sure which is not the worst thing...

Thanks so much for your response Sorry for the LONG response hehe