View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Breastfeeding moms are NOT the only judgemental ones

You know, everyone thinks breastfeeding moms are oh so judgemental. If we make a comment about a woman formula feeding...we get railed on for being insensitive and not "knowing" the full situation. But ffers can see a woman nip and make a comment and it's "understandable" I just don't get it. I'm not saying ALL formula feeders are judgemental but people have to realize ALL breastfeeders aren't judgemental either.

I was making a new friend the other day...a young, single mom, someone I had a lot in common with. She stopped talking to me suddenly when I started nursing. She didn't stop talking to me because she was offended by my nursing, she stopped talking to me because she ASSUMED that because I breastfed I would just rip on her because she formula fed her son.

I hate that! I can be a bit judgemental, I will admit that, but if I don't know the situation, why would I say anything to her about not breastfeeding?? Why would it have even come up? Her son is already 20 months old.

Ugh, I just hate that everybody assumes us breastfeeding moms are all judgemental because of the few people that are totally overboard. I certainly don't assume that just because a woman formula feeds her baby she is judgemental against nip and think it's gross.

By the way, the reason she didn't breastfeed was because she got a depo shot right at birth, she was young and single and her dr told her that's what she should do and no one explained to her that it would suppress her milk supply. At her son's 2 week well baby he was down 2 1/2 lbs from his birth weight. She started using formula.

I have been in her shoes and understand why she trusted her dr...it's hard being a young uneducated mother and you think your dr would know best! She didn't even give me the chance to understand her though!

This isn't meant to start drama...just a personal issue that happened the other day and I don't know what to do about it. You think I should still try to hang out with her or just let it go??
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote