Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 'burbs of New Orleans
Making myself sick picking a school for DS - Help (Very long, lol)
First, thank you if you read this long post!!
OK, this decision is seriously making me sick, I mean leaving me mentally, emotionally exhausted. I don't know why I can't just decide. Here's what's going on.
We built our house 2 years ago in this particular school district, because several people told us how amazing the public school is here, and we knew that it would be much easier to use the public school, financially, since I'm a SAHM & that's very important to us. Well, DH & I both went to very good private schools, so it's always been a bit of an adjustment to think that my kids would go to public school. Most public schools in the New Orleans area are sooo very, very awful, but not this one. It's excellent, compared to the others around here. Actually it just got awarded the status of Blue Ribbon School, so that's good, right? A couple problems, though, now that I've actually visited the school. First, there's almost 1300 kids, spread over 5 grades (K-4), so it's huge. Doesn't feel like it when you're there, though. And it's STRICT. Kids must be silent in the halls, with their right foot always on a line going down the hallway (so they stay in line). No talking in the cafeteria, either, but the teachers read stories, sing, etc., during lunch. And they have like 30-45 minutes of nightly homework in kindergarten! Yikes! But the teachers we know there describe it as the best school they've ever taught at, very kind, very moral atmosphere.
So, now I'm in a quandary. We could move again into another parish & try to get the kids into a magnet school, so they'd be in a good school. Or, we could make financial sacrifices to send them to a private school, but the thought of spending $6000 per kid makes me sick, knowing there's a perfectly good public school right here in our district. But why can't I just say "OK this is where they're going."? I cannot make that decision, I think I'm afraid it'll be the wrong one!
And then there's the issue that this public school only goes through 4th grade. The middle school is awful, so we'd have to send them to private school at that point. And then we definitely want them to go to private school for high school, if we stay in this district. But if we moved into another district, they could stay in the magnet school all the way from K through 12th grade.
See my quandary? What would you do? My mom & MIL say to try our local school for kindergarten, then switch if we find that's it's not to our liking. But I know how hard that would be for DS#1. He's so shy, it would be extremely hard on him to switch schools like that. I wouldn't do it unless it was seriously, absolutely necessary.
Thoughts, advice anyone? Thanks. I feel like I could cry every time I think about this decision!
Ashley, wife to Tony
Dean (6/02), Colin (1/04), Ava (3/06)
, & Carter (11/10)
#5 Due 11/2012 - It's a GIRL!