View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Neighbors kid keep asking for Candy!

We've had this same thing happen. They ask, I say no, and then they get my kids to ask. I respond "Well, we don't have any candy in this house [this is true], but you can have some grapes." If they truly are hungry, they take the grapes, if they were just wanting candy, they say no to the grapes. Two of my ds' friends (who are 7 & 5) would come over every day after school, and not 3 minutes after they went into the basement to play, Gavin would come up asking for cheese & crackers (often after I had seen the older boy whispering in his ear). IDK, that really annoyed me after it continued to happen. If Gavin had already had his afternoon snack, I said no. The boys told me the cheese I gave them was "soooo yummy!" - it was just Cracker Barrel Vermont Sharp (I agree yummy), but Gavin told me they had "orange cheese" at the boys' house, so perhaps they weren't used to real cheese?? Anyway, one time the older boy raved so much about it, I showed him the wrapper and told him what it was. The next time he came over he told me that they had the same cheese at his house now. So maybe I helped get his house off Kraft singles?? LOL.

Anyway, moral of the story - I've become pretty strict w/ all the kids over her (we have the only swingset on the block) and if I don't like some behaviour, I don't sugar coat my comments. I've sent them home before for unacceptabler behaviour, and if snacks have already been served at my house, then they have to go home to get theirs. End of story. I felt mean at first, but then I realized I was providing snacks for 6 kids almost every day! If it is time for ds & dd's snacks, then I do enough to share, but that's it.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote