View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #23
Lilybugsmama
Registered Users
Formerly: bmwa****
seller

Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

Hi! I just posted these in a "Rice & Beans" thread, but they are definitely meals under $5...

Easy Black Beans & Rice

1 T. oil
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14.5 oz.) sliced, stewed tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
2/3 c. water
1/2 t. dried oregano
1 1/2 c. Minute Brown Rice, uncooked (instant) -- anyone able to help me convert this recipe so I can use regular brown rice?

Heat oil in large skillet on med-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender (but not browned). Stir in tomatoes, beans, water, and oregano. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice, return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir and enjoy!

We top ours with shredded cheese and sour cream. Or, if you are my dh, you add Tabasco sauce and roll it all up in a tortilla.

Black Bean Quesadillas adapted a bit from Allrecipes.com

1T vegetable oil
1 onion, finely diced (or about 1 T minced)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can black beans (or 1/3 package of dried, soaked and cooked)
1 green bell pepper
2 tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can diced)
1/2 pkg frozen corn
12 flour tortillas (I use whole wheat)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Heat oil in skillet and add onion and garlic. Saute until soft. Mix in beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, and corn; cook until heated through. Heat a separate skillet. Lightly butter one tortilla and place butter-side down in the skillet (like a grilled cheese sandwich). Sprinkle a small amount of cheese on the tortilla followed by about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture. Sprinkle a little bit more cheese on top of the beans and place another buttered tortilla over everything. Brown the tortilla and flip to brown the other side. Remove quesadilla from the pan to a cutting board. Repeat. Cutting the quesadillas with a pizza cutter works beautifully. Serve with salsa and sour cream (if you like it).

Or, use the quesadilla filling separately and mix with brown rice (along with cheese and sour cream) for a filling meal.

Enjoy
Lilybugsmama is offline   Reply With Quote