Re: Sciatic Nerve Pain?
I suffered from sciatic pain early in both my first pregnancy and my current one. I go to Yoga routinely and my instructor gave me the following poses that REALLY, REALLY stretch it out! Go to yogajournal.com for pics and tips on how to do the poses.
Here's the info:
Sciatic Nerve Pain often is most intense around the Sciatic crest of the pelvis - basically, the middle of the buttock cheek. If pressure stays on the nerve, keeping it compressed or pinched, the pain gets worse and begins to expand down the entire nerve, down the back of the legs. To alleviate pressure in this area, it is helpful to stretch the gluteal muscles, piriformis, and the I.T. band. It is also helpful to widen the pelvis and increase the rotation of the hip. Opening the hips can also help with low back pain.
The following yoga poses can be very helpful in this:
1. Eka Pada Raja Kapotasana (pigeon)
2. Gomukhasana (cow face) - fold the body forward, reaching your chin past your knees as you do this pose
3. Supta Padangusthasana
4. Supta Matsyendrasana - supine spinal twist
5. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog), slightly pigeon toed, with the feet wider apart - reach the sitting bones back laterally from the body
6. Pavanamuktasana - childs pose laying on your back
7. Upavistha Konasana
8. Janu Sirsasana, paying attention to the outstretched leg, maintaining internal rotation, sit bone back, and extending the lesser trochanter distance out laterally away from the opposite hip bone. This increases the distance between the lesser trochantor and the sacrum and stretches the piriformis. In other words the inside of the outstretched leg continues to lengthen to the side widening the pelvis.
9. Child Pose with the sitting bones pressing out laterally.