View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
sarahrichardson
Registered Users

Maternity Leave, Teaching and Staff Dev.

Help me think this through - sorry it's a little long.

I teach. The state requires 60 hours of continuing ed. This year, the asst. super. told us that they are not allowed to count hours you get during a regular school day as part of your 60 hours (they keep track for your prof. record, but you still have to get 60 hours) Fine. And, you either have to get the 3 days (18 hrs) in the summer or come for the 3 flex days. Fine. Also, if you don't get your other hours at the beginning of the school year (there's about a week of staff dev. before school) you have to do the flex days. Fine. I get it that they can't double pay you by you not doing those hours and then hiring a sub for you to go get them during the school year. (BTW my school supports me going to a lot of workshops, even during the year and they pay for it - and most of this is state mandated). We're all okay until I start talking maternity leave. I am getting 54 hours this summer (We get 6 at a staff dev. day in Jan.) since I will be on maternity leave at the beginning of the year. So, I asked, since I am doing that does that week of staff dev. at the beginning count as part of my mat. leave? Yep, they said. So, I am fine with you can't double pay me, but I can double pay you (in time)? I understand that they can't let everyone miss that week, or it defeats that purpose, but if you have a planned leave, and you make up for it, it seems little bit of double standard. Maybe I'm just venting, but what do you think?