View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I succombed to using jarred baby food...kinda LONG...

I wasn't sure if I should post this under Breastfeeding Support or Introducing Solids, or even Green Families, so I just chose here! I bought a baby food mill and freezer containers several months ago, because I fully intended on making our own baby food using all organic ingredients. I did, too, for a couple of months. However, DD is still practically EBF and rarely getting solids at a little over 9 months (which seems "incorrect" to me as well as others, though DD is very healthy for her age at about 21 pounds and a real chunkster!). She's been introduced lots different of table foods, though she can't chew yet because she just in the past week got her first tooth, and it's still a "nub". I'm finding that even if I cut the pieces down to very small sizes, she still gags and coughs when she eats them, causing her to not want any more...she pushes it away. I wanted her to start eating more meats, as well as the fruits and vegetables she's mostly getting, and I just got lazy and decided to get the jarred stuff. I wanted her to have those full meals in a jar...the chicken and rice casserole, the turkey and sweet potatoes, things like that. I got some organic (the ones that were on sale) and some not. I want to get her on a more consistent schedule with solid feeding. You know, breakfast, lunch and dinner, which nursing in between and at night.

Why do I feel like I'm doing something wrong by not making it myself? I fully intended on making her food from scratch, never giving her the jarred "crap."

My mom offered a suggestion, which I'm going to try to do. She suggested that I give her the oatmeal mixed with a little breastmilk and pureed fruit that I've made from scratch. For lunch, give her either a homemade vegetable I've made, or if I'm having a rushed day, half of a jar of baby food (one of the combinations...and the jars are too big for DD to finish in one sitting). For dinner give her the other half of the jarred food, or something homemade. I guess by doing it this way, I can still have the piece of mind in giving her homemade foods, and yet still have the convenience of the store-bought food when I need it.

What do you all do?