View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #23
daelaria
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do I have to start with rice cereal? (kind of a rant, kind of a question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glupton View Post
Ok, I must admit that this is my first baby and I don't really know what I'm talking about.

That said, I have read a little here and there, and I really feel like we shouldn't start with rice cereal. What's in it anyway?

Right now we ebf. We just got home from our 4 month appt where the doctor asked if we had started solids. I said no, we were going to wait until at least 6 months. He said 6 months is maximum b/c of iron deficiency reasons--that the baby won't get enough iron with bf'ing alone. I disagree, but held my tongue. He said at 6 months, we *have* to start rice cereal.

I am leaning more toward self-feeding (baby puts food into his own mouth) and I know that can't happen with rice cereal at 6 months. YKWIM?

So, where does this leave me?!?!?
No offense mama, but that doc doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Babies iron stores hold them to six months..minimum. Not maximum. Babies do not need solid food even at six months. Many mommas who EBF delay solids safely for a few more months. The longer baby is EBF, the better in the first 12 months.

And no, you don't have to use ANY cereal. We will start DD on solids around 10 months. Her first food will most likeely be sweet potato. Cereal is not necessary. There isn't any nutritional value in it for an EBF baby..

Working towards becoming a WIC Lactation Peer Counselor!
daelaria is offline   Reply With Quote