View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's your fav. crock pot recipe?

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee my crockpot, use it year round a couple times a week...most of my stuff isn't recipes, per se, just stuff I throw together!

Steak and Beans:

Bag of pinto beans (dry, 1lb)
2-3 bacon wrapped beef fillets (buy on sale!)

Wash the beans, put in crockpot, stick the meat sort of in the middle. Fill ALL THE WAY up with water...cook on low all day, turn up on high and add more water in the afternoon, steak will fall apart! We eat this like soup with cornbread and the leftovers are yummy! This is a good one if you be home to sort of watch it...the beans soak up so much water and will get dried out if you aren't careful.

I also do this with lots of other beans - we also like white beans and ham cooked this way!

Chicken...I use the individually frozen chicken breasts in my crockpot b/c I think they dry out any other way you cook them...I always start with mine frozen, just stick em in the crockpot.

Then add your choice:
A bottle of barbeque sauce...meat will shred and is great for a sandwich

a can of cream soup (chicken, potato, broccoli, mushroom - I have even used the reduced fat), serve over rice or noodles.

A bottle of italian salad dressing (you might need two if you are cooking much chicken)...great with or on a salad

My family's fave - Crockpot Meatloaf

Cut up enought potatoes in chunks to cover the bottom of your crockpot, spray pot with PAM or oil it well, place potatoes in the bottom. Make a meatloaf like you normally would (I mix 1-1.5 lbs of ground meat, an egg, some bread crumbs, and onion flake, maybe a squirt of ketchup - my folks like simple), shape it into a loaf and place in the crockpot, making sure the sides of the loaf don't touch the pot. Cook on low 8 hours. I usually put this on at 7 am and then turn it up to high at about 3pm to get a nice brown crust. (we eat at 5:30, to give you a time reference)

Beef Tips and Rice

2 lbs stew meat, trimmed
2 packs of brown gravy or beef stew dry mixes
Water

Combine in crockpot, cook on low all day, serve over rice or noodles

I'll post more as I think of them! Great thread!