View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent!

My personal notes on the detergent....

-I find that I can just throw the powder in a hot wash, but I have to dissolve it in hot water before adding to a warm or cold wash

-be careful not to overload your washer!

-DO NOT use a blender! Slice soap and then use a food processor, or grate the whole bar by hand...a blender is not designed for this kind of chopping!

-washing soda can be hard to find...try calling your local grocery store to see if they carry it, or look for "PH up" where you buy pool supplies (or 100% sodium carbonate which is washing soda!)

-almost any soap can be used, I chose Kirks because it was as close to homemade as I could find locally. The original recipe called for "Fels Naptha" but that is some harsh stuff!

-both recipes are safe for sensitive skin and ezcema!

-there are little or no suds, but your stuff is still getting clean!

-the first time I used the laundry soap the water turned brown from the stuff that was left on my clothes from my previous detergent!

-both recipes are perfume-free, dye-free, enzyme-free, phosphate-free, and biodegradable!

-if you find that the *diaper* detergent isn't working as effectively after a few months, try switching to another brand and then switching back. I've had *many* PMs from mamas who are switching between homemade & Tide or homemade & Allens every 3-6 months and finding that to be the best washing routine! I haven't heard from anyone who needs to switch with the laundry soap!

Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 02-15-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: more notes
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote