07-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Eastern U.S.
Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent!
Pages 2+ summarized....(this will be updated as new info is shared)
- non-sudsing, so it's safe for FL and HE machines!
- washing soda is available at Kroger, Hannafords, Acme, Biggs, and Publix
- washing soda is "sodium carbonate" and might be with pool supplies
- you can order washing soda at www.drugstore.com
- Kirks is available at Kroger, Frys, and Cracker Barrel
- you can use Dr Bronners soap instead of Kirks
- Fels Naptha is yucky stuff, and Ivory doesn't work well for laundry
- NO soap on diapers (the soap is in the *laundry* recipe)
- use oxyclean FREE and it's safer for your diapers
- mix this after the kids are in bed, in case you spill!
- don't subsitute baking soda!
- washing soda & borax ARE safe for your diapers used in this small amount!
- you can also use a cheese grater for the soap
- you can add essential oils to the powder and stir with a fork
- vinegar in the rinse can cause stinkies in microfiber
- this has been used with hemp without problems
- lots of bubbles is from your old detergent build up!
- always use a cold rinse first for diapers, so you don't set in stains
- with liquid Dr Bronners instead of soap there is a chance of staining from the oils
- you can use the diaper detergent for your clothes too
- sun oxygen cleaner is a cheaper alternative to oxyclean
- call 1-800-781-7529 to get Oxyclean Free for $6.99 (ask about free ship!)
- *approximate* costs: 3-bar pack Kirks $4, Borax $4, Oxyclean Free: $7, Washing soda $3.50 (all costs will vary by region)
-Canada moms: Borax at Zellers, A&P, Superstore and Walmart...Washing Soda and Oxyclean free at Walmart.
Mama to Monkey
and our brand new rainbow
Last edited by ChocolateMoose; 02-15-2010 at 02:50 PM.