View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
clothmamaof4
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Diaper Stink/Diaper Stripping Remedies

We are making a sticky here for quick reference to diaper stink issues and to compile them all into one place so Post your Diaper stink remedies here:

Here's mine:

STRIPPING DIAPERS:
On occasion diapers will build up ammonia or detergent and these will cause the diapers to have reduced absorbency and smell bad when baby wets in them. You can use the following methods to strip them to remove that build up. I use it often (every 4-6 weeks) to keep my diapers fresh and it works great!
Here's what I do for smelly dipes.

I tried this to remove the stink and it worked:
Supplies needed:
Stock pot
Baking soda
Dawn Dish detergent
Lemon Juice
Laundry Detergent (I like Purex's new Natural detergent)

1~Boil 1-2 large stock pots of water (1 for a small load 2 for a medium load), when boiling remove from heat, add 1/2 cup baking soda and 2 drops of Dawn, wisk around til mixed. HINT: Add soda slowly stirring as you do, the hot water mixes with the soda and bubbles up. (you can add the soda into the water afer putting the water into the washer and aggitate for a moment to mix it)
2~Pour the boiling mixture into your empty washer and Immerse diapers in the mix (for front loaders do this step in a bucket) If the boiling water is not enough to cover the diapers then add enough hot water from the tap to cover diapers
3~Let soak for 30 minutes (you can turn the washer onto aggitate here if you like to get the diapers completely submerged then turn off and let it sit)
4~Drain washer on the spin cycle (for FL's just drain the bucket and continue) and squirt each diapers soaker area with lemon juice
5~Start washer on regular hot water wash cycle at medium to high level depending on how many diapers you are stripping and add 1.5-3 tsp detergent depending on load size
6~rewash one more hot water cycle and then rinse on cold 2 times, dry and you are good to go!

You can also just do the squirt of lemon juice every week or two after stripping to keep them fresh and usually go longer between actually all out stripping. Just squirt some lemon juice on the insert or soaker area (if an AIO or fitted) after the first rinse and rinse 1-2 more times.

Last edited by clothmamaof4; 07-25-2008 at 09:59 PM.
clothmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote