Thread: ? for a friend
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ? for a friend

First let me say I am sorry for the link heavy post - but hopefully you'll find something here to help/encourage your friend!!

I find it humorous that the ladies at the health dept are pressuring her to supp.

It is true- nurse nurse nurse is the best way to get the supply going and keep it up. The baby is just about 2 weeks old and generally babes will regain their birth weight by 2 weeks - but some are different indeed.

The best indicator of "health" is the babe is getting enough..

Quote:
Notes on scales and weights
Scales are all different. We have documented significant differences from one scale to another. Weights have often been written down wrong. A soaked cloth diaper may weigh 250 grams (half a pound) or more, so babies should be weighed naked or with a brand new dry diaper.
Many rules about weight gain are taken from observations of growth of formula feeding babies. They do not necessarily apply to breastfeeding babies. A slow start may be compensated for later, by fixing the breastfeeding. Growth charts are guidelines only.

Link re: weight gain etc...
Kellymom is a great resource as well!!

And another

And again

If she can get in touch with a LLL group or an IBCLC that would be her best bet, I would say!!

good for you for being a helpful and encouraging friend!!

The LLL boards have been very useful to new, and experienced moms alike ~ maybe when you get a chance you or she could check stuff out there as well!!

Last edited by moonphishers; 11-02-2006 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote