View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 AM   #27
kitscha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper Stink/Diaper Stripping Remedies

I'm of the opinion that most stink problems result from diapers that aren't clean enough, rather than diapers that need residues stripped out of them. Not that the latter doesn't happen - just that I think it's more rare.

I think of it this way: if you pulled your clothes out of the washing machine and found they were still smelly, you wouldn't boil them, or put them in the dishwasher, or put them through again with no detergent, or wash them with dish liquid - you'd just run them through a nice hot cycle again with a generous helping of detergent, then perhaps get them in the sun to air out. And we're dealing with human waste here, not whiffy shirts - so I figure the same applies, but even more so.

Of course there is merit in many methods - and if what you're doing works for you, keep doing it! - but my keep-it-simple stink solution (for my top loader - adjustments would be needed for front loaders) is to:

- do a short COLD cycle with 1/4 cup of bleach. Dilute it in the water before adding diapers, and if you want to soak the load briefly before beginning the cycle, that's fine. Depending how big your machine is, what type and how many dipes you are dealing with, you might be able to increase the bleach to 1/3 cup or more.

- do a regular HOT cycle with the FULL amount of DETERGENT (not a teaspoon-full, not Dawn, but an actual detergent of your choice).

- do one or two extra rinses - however many you need to feel comfortable that things are rinsed out.

- after or during the drying process, if geography and weather permits, get the dipes hanging in direct sunshine for a while.

Hope this helps someone!
kitscha is offline   Reply With Quote