View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #30
zachabbycole
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

Here are some meals my dh and kids love. We like to eat alot of hotdishes here. I get all of my meat in the reduced meat section at our grocery store-usually about .99/lb. So I think these are all about $5.00 per meal.

Pasta Bake

1 lb. grd. beef or turkey
1 jar spaghetti sauce
16 oz. egg noodles (or I use whatever noodles I have in my pantry)
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese (optional)
mozzerella cheese

Brown meat, Cook noodles as directed on pkg. In 9x13 pan combine, browned meat, cooked noodles, spaghetti sauce, & grated parmesan cheese. Top with shredded mozzerella cheese. 350 degree oven 15-20 minutes or til cheese is melted. Add a salad and bread for a complete meal.

Taco Rice Skillet

1 lb. grd beef or turkey
1 pouch taco seasoning
1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 c minute rice
shredded cheddar cheese

Brown beef, drain. Add water, taco seasoning and bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Sprinkle top with cheese, cover. Remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes til rice soaks up water.

This has so many uses. You can dip tortilla chips in it and serve with sour cream and salsa. Our favorite way to eat this is in burritos, soft tacos, or taco salads. Top with all your favorite taco toppings.

Tator Tot Hotdish

1 lb. grd beef or turkey
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can of peas or corn
16 oz. tator tots

Brown meat, drain. Combine soup with 1/4c water in a small bowl, set aside. In 9x13 pan dump meat and mix in can of peas/corn. Put half of soup mixture over meat mixture. Top with tator tots. Pour rest of soup mixture on top of Tator Tots. Bake 350 degrees for 55 minutes or til tator tots are browned.

Another cheap meal we do is when we make chili. We always make a double batch of chili so we have leftovers for the next day. We then add 2c. cooked minute rice to the chili for a great chili rice hotdish.

Last edited by zachabbycole; 09-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.
zachabbycole is offline   Reply With Quote