View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM   #93
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

I just wanted to add on, for people who have maybe never been in an accident....the post about how strong the forces are in an accident really struck a chord with me. They really are SO STRONG.
I had never been in an accident that i remember. I was recently in a VERY mild accident and i was SHOCKED at how brutal it was.
anyway, long story short, through no actual fault of our own, we rear-ended a car going MAYBE 10 mph.....in all actuality, it was likely closer to 5, but at most it was 10, we had just been stopped at a light, it turned green, we all started going.....when the idiot 3 cars in front of us suddenly slammed on his brakes and stopped so he could make an ILLEGAL left turn into a corner gas station on the opposite corner. The car behind him stopped just in time...the car in front of us skidded to a stop and also partially had to swerve to the side of the road...our car was just too heavy..the brakes locked, but we ended up skidding into the car in front of us.....SKIDDING at less than 10 mph.

And it was HORRIFIC. The force with which we slammed into the car...it was unimaginable.....just SO MUCH FORCE....i can't even begin to imagine what a 40mph or more crash is like....i simply can't.
Luckily, no one was hurt. (well, except me, my knee slammed into the glove compartment.) but we had 4 kids in the car, including dd, who was FF at 10.5 months, due to the previously mentioned GIANT issues and 3 kids, ages 8 9 and 12, in regular seat belts, and dh and I in seat belts.

Again, i am not a "carseat zealot" as i generally call them (yes, in a fairly derogatory tone, I admit.) I am not someone whose "soapbox issue" is carseats...if anything, i am fairly lax about caseats in comparison to other issues in life.....But i will tell you guys......you can not believe the forces in a crash. It was a real eye opener.
Next kid, i will definitely shell out for one of the bigger, better seats with higher RF limits, weight and height, in case baby #2 is also a giant.

When you know better, you do better.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote