View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Ideal birth setting

I can remember a few years ago, during a night of my infamous insomnia, I watched some birth story of this woman that lived in Hawaii, was pregnant with her first child, was very "bohemian" (if you will) and planned to give birth in a lagoon. She did have her husband there and a friend that happened to be a doctor, but she gave birth, totally unassisted in this lagoon. She said that during labor and the contractions, the water soothed her, helped her hips and helped her to relax. Then the saltiness of the water soothed her perineum and other nether regions so she was able to relax enough especially during the pushing phase. And since the entire thing was done in water, letting the placenta come out naturally and just "let it float off" was easy for them to do. Also, the water in the lagoon was a very gorgeous, crystal clear blue...

I don't know about ya'll... but that sounds heavenly to me. I've had three hospital births, the worst was the first and I've been gaining speed to get out of there since. DH is a worrywart when it comes to giving birth (all those "whatifs") but I'd really like to try something different. So this birth story I just related sounds neat. Not like I'll be able to try it any time soon...

But what do ya'll think? What would be your ideal birth setting and why?