View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #97
aschrimp
Registered Users

Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

My ds is 27 lbs at 8 months. I think we may have to get a Britax to be able to keep him rear facing long enough. Right now we have the Evenflo truimph, which I believe goes RF up to 30 or 33 lbs. It's rated as high in safety as the Britax by consumer reports, but runs about $100 cheaper, but I didn't realize we would have a mamoth baby when we bought it - LOL. He will stay RF for as long as we can safely keep him that way, but the reality of our situation, with his size, is that no matter what seat we buy, our sweet sweet (very big) little boy will probably loose the protection of RF before he is 2 yrs.

Quick note to the people whose kids legs are all squished - if you recline the seat a bit more it will make more room for the legs. RF seats are supposed to be at a 45 degree angle, which is VERY reclined. And that is 45 degrees with respect to the ground, not your back seat. It is actually this 45 degree recline that provides the protection during a crash.

If your seat is slanted (to give more leg room for passengers), you will probably need to use a rolled up towel or pool noodle to get the car seat securely reclined to the corect angle, and it will give your child a TON more leg room (as well as being correctly and safely installed to provide max protection during a crash).

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote