View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #23
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DS was born at 35 weeks with immature lungs.. how come others are so lucky??

Hey Mama...I completely understand where you are coming from. ((hugs)) Both of my babies were born prematurely due to severe pre-e and HELLP. My DD was born at 28 weeks and had a ton of health problems. She was 2.11 lbs, was on an oscillator, then the vent, CPAP, and nasal canula...of course she went back and forth from one to the other quite a few times too. You know how they, preemies take one step forward then two steps back. She had a PDA (the valve in her heart that didn't close), severe apnea and bradycardia (was on a heart/apnea monitor for 1 year and 2 weeks), had 3 blood transfusions and was in the NICU for 3 months. She is 7 years old now and perfectly healthy but I am no where near being over the heartache that that time period brought. Then we had our DS almost 5 years later....

He was born 6 weeks early and I thought he was going to be fine because he was 5.14!! Well he aspirated while being taken out from the c-section. Within 4 hours he was on a vent and struggling horribly. He was very, very ill with a serious case of pneumonia. 3.5 weeks later he was able to come home with me and though it wasn't 3 months like my DD, it was just as difficult to see my baby fight for his life and hear his Drs tell me that I was very lucky because he was much sicker than I realized and there was a serious chance that I could have lost him.

Like you, I thought that a baby at that gestation would have been ok and able to come home with me. Oh how I long to take a baby home from the hospital right away. Or to be able to hold a baby of mine before they are either 9 or 12 days old. I try my hardest to remind myself that I am so blessed to have them here with me because they could have had different outcomes. Thank God that they didn't!

Wow, I have written a book here! I just want you to know that I do understand your pain, even 15 years later because I don't see mine ever going away either. Perhaps our situations are just more reasons to remind us just how blessed we are with our children?