View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chores for your dc?

you'll find something that works for you. Here's what works for us:

We are a family and a family is the best team ever made, so we all work together to make our house a home and keep our family strong. By 2 my kids will say "I'm your family, I can help" and things like that. By 15 months my kids put their own diapers in the pail. They put their plates in the sink and their garbage in the trash. Before age 2 they help clean up their toys. Before they are 3 they can pull the blankets up to "make the bed" Around 3 they get real responsibilities (2 for some, it depends on the child)
My 3 year old, EVERY day:
feed dog and cat, water them
make bed
brush hair and teeth, floss
wipe bathroom sink
empty bathroom trash
pick clothes, get dressed
pjs into the laundry room
sort laundry into lights, darks, towels
put own dishes into dishwasher after rinsing them in the sink
pick up toys in living room

He recently started folding his own laundry like the other kids do, and putting it away (started putting it away around 3yrs 4months)
Also my kids collect things from the van EVERY time they get out to help keep it clean. My bigger kids do more of course. Their "dailies" are related to the care and keeping of themselves, the care and keeping of those who can't care for themselves, and "related tasks". So each kid does personal items (showers, baths, hair, teeth, asthma medicines, probiotics, whatever their body needs, dressing- they check the weather online first once they are capable, things like that) and their belongings (dishes, rooms, laundry), and my 2 oldest have their own pets to care for and we all help with family pets (and babies/toddlers who still need "care and keeping"). The "related tasks" develops a habit of "seeing what needs to be done" so my preschooler is IN the landry room with his laundry, he may as well sort it while he is there. He is AT the sink to brush his teeth and wash his hands and face, he might as well wipe the sink out before he leaves and put the cloth in the dirty laundry. It grows as they do. My bigger kids will start laundry while they are there (they are 7 and 8), they will fold baby clothes while they are folding their own, they will wipe off a counter just because it needs it. They do things that need doing, because "thats what people do"
They will do anything asked of them (I'm sure it wont last forever). We don't give an allowance. *I* don't get paid to live here and be a "good citizen" and thats not how things work. So I won't pay my kids for "nothing" or for "chores" it seems silly to me to pay them to be decent people.
I got a cash job cleaning a house and took my kids to work. They WORKED, and I paid them for that. They dusted, cleaned grout, changed sheets, scrubbed the fridge/stove etc etc etc. They did a real job outside of the home. So they were paid $2/week for that. They can take out trash, rake leaves, scoop poop, wash cars for neighbors to earn $. Once they can count money and perform basic addition tasks they are responsible for buying gifts they want to give. My kids really like to pick out birthday and Christmas gifts. In the beginning they could only drag trash for 50 cents and so they shopped at the dollar store. My 7yr old picks better gifts though and is willing to work hard to get the $ for better stuff. She also chooses to plan ahead and will start saving and planning months in advance.