View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
swedishbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

Mmm . . . these recipes look good, mamas! As a homage to Breakfast for Dinner, this is our favorite that we eat every Wednesday:

Pannkaka (Oven Pancake)

Spray cooking spray on 9x13 pan.
Melt 1 stick of butter and pour into prepared pan.

Lightly beat 4 eggs in a medium or large bowl. Add:
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 C milk
Combine well but don't outwhisk yourself. Pour right on top of butter in the pan. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes or until puffy and golden.

This was a recipe from dh's side of the family. This is what I do differently to it (although it is totally delicious as-is!):
Make it with 1/3 or 1/2 C ww flour in place of AP flour
Omit a tablespoon of butter and add a tablespoon of ground flax
Toss in some wheat germ just for fun

When ds is in the kitchen, sometimes chocolate chips will appear in it, or if we have a giant bag of frozen berries from Costco, those are delish sprinkled in too.

If bacon was on sale anytime recently, I place it on the lower rack in the oven 10 minutes before the pannkaka is done. Bacon bakes wonderfully in a shallow pan, plus you don't have to turn it like you do stovetop. I wish this was my idea but I actually read it on a bacon wrapper a long time ago Works like a charm! I love baking two things at once. Keep an eye on it after about 8 minutes, though - it bakes quickly once it gets going. Sooooo crispy and perfect with the pancake
swedishbabies is offline   Reply With Quote