View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Failure to thrive

Thank you all so much for the advice and support. I SOOO NEED IT RIGHT NOW!

Last night I walked away after posting. I filled the SNS, latched her on and gave it a shot. It worked at first but after a minute or so the SNS stopped releasing milk. The valve was opened and it was primed so I ahve no idea why it wouldnt release anymore. She sucked a while longer but no swallowing after that.

I've had my milk let down more then once during a feeding but only 2 times in her short life. Both times was when she was constantly sucking and swallowing for 15 minutes straight, so I letdown again and she ate for another 5 minutes. That's when she was super full (for once) and milk even poured out of her mouth and all over my breast.

Normally it's only one letdown though. Right at the beginning.

I used a Medela Lactina Select. These are the ones you get at the hospital. I was fortunate enough to get mine second hand for dirt cheap, and got new tubing and flanges from WIC at no cost.

The more I pump the more I get out. So I just have to make sure to pump every 2 hours no matter what.

BTW.. the saying "don't cry over spilled milk" is BS! Last night i pumped, stood up to put it in the fridge and dropped it! It poured out everywhere. I lost all my 1/16 of an ounce. DH immediatly jumped up and hugged me and said "I am sooo sorry hunny. I know how hard that must be for you". And of course I shed a few tears over it. So yeah, that saying is BS!