View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Norwex review is in... My detergent exploration... ALL DONE! (:

So far this is my opinion on the best detergents for diapers, based on my experiences with my washing methods, my municipal water supply and my particular machine:

1. Washing soda: It works well and is really affordable. What's not to like?
2. Country Save
3. Allen's Naturally.

What would I NOT recommend? Soap nuts. Apparently there are various grade soapnuts available on the market and I would like to clarify that I had the higher grade sold by Ecoideas. I also disliked Norwex.

Reviews linked below - read on for more details!

Well, I'm about 3 months into this process and have changed my washing routine as I've discovered everything I use so far has a habit of building up in the fabric to some degree. The only thing that has guaranteed me stink-free diapers is WATER. Yup, adding about 5 gallons (or two big pots) full of water to the FL has made the biggest difference overall. Except with soapnuts...

**original post**
I need someone to cheer me on! I am in the process of testing out my detergents on my cloth dipes to try and find the perfect one without needing to overly change my routine.

Essentially, I am a cubicle dwelling working mom with two little ones. Life is busy and dipes only get washed 1x per week and they tend to sit around without being rinsed for about as long. Between the dipes that sit at the caregivers in a plastic bag all day and what we use at home, its a lot to clean. We usually split it into two loads and we use a mix of pockets stuffed with home-made doublers made from sports socks or hemp. Prefolds are a favourite too. Pockets go to daycare and prefolds are for home use.

DS2 has been a treasure and a challenge. He's one of those LOs who's allergic to half the planet and his skin is really reactive. Plus I find since switching to the front-loader things don't wash nearly as clean. We have a Whirlpool Duet.

We're trying / have tried the following without really using it long enough to compare and see if it's the best thing for us. So now I'm doing a more systemic test, using the detergents for at least 30 days and testing out different strategies.... 'cause I don't want to buy any more soap! I made each of my entries linkable for easier reading!

Country Save
Nature Clean
Plain old 100% natural washing soda
Soap nuts
Allen's Naturally
Norwex detergent.

I've already finished with the Country Save and Nature Clean. See below for my experiences with these. Our water here is pretty soft at 55mg/L.

Last edited by EcoTykesMama; 05-26-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: new reviews
EcoTykesMama is offline   Reply With Quote