View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #18
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Red face Re: Importance Of A 5pt Harness....( Get the tissues!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckWoman View Post
that's a great video, but the car seats are held in by seatbelts right? So What difference is the type of carseat used going to make in a seatbelt failure situation? Some of us can't afford a brand new car with all the fancy schmancy latch systems and such. I can see a 5pt. making a difference should the seat remain in place, and the idea that a top tether alone would've made a difference is just dumb. Great now the child and his seat are free to swing about the inside of the car becoming a danger to themselves and other passengers.

don't get me wrong. Proper use of a car seat is vital and getting the best one you can afford makes sense, but in the end most rely on the seatbelts and that puts us right back at square one.

Does this make sense?
Actually yes seatbelts are used and was up until recently the only way to fasten the carseat in. (Within the last 10 -5 yrs I think) Then the LATCH system came a/b. It tethers the seat to the inside of the cars seat in. The tether rod is either welded or bolted to the frame of the car. In the state of GA if you have Medicaid then you qualify for a new seat that has a 5 point harness and the latch system and is absolutely free. You go to the seminar (as I have stated) that is also free. To me though, my child's life is priceless! For my girls to be safe when we are in our vehicles is worth whatever I have to pay. ALL of the newer model seats are REQUIRED to have the LATCH system by law. So it's not JUST the expensive seats that have the "Fancy" stuff. We are as broke as a hant....but a parent has to do what a parent has to do, KWIM? I would much rather my child be in a car seat with a 5pt harness come loose in the vehicle and have some protection than just be flying around free to hit anything. There isn't much room for a seat to fly around but a loose child....well..I am sure you get the picture. This sounded kind of rude, but it wasn't meant that way. Safety for children should be TOP priority even if it costs $$$$, I am sure if you child was the one thrown from the vehicle you would give and $$$$ to get them back!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote