View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone follow Dr. John Rosemonds style of Parenting?

We do to a degree with our older children. We use love -n- logic which teaches that there are reactions to their actions and that they might not like the action. I can say though that with my 9 year old I can see (almost literally) sometimes the following conversation swimming around her head: "Let's see, if I do XX YY will happen. Is it worth it? YES! I can just suffer through it". That might sound like the punishment is too leinent but I don't consider taking away her DS (which she LOVES) for a couple of days leinent - it's just that, with her personality, it IS worth it. Scary but true.

Some of his parenting styles are a bit harsh but some we use. My 12 year old went through this slamming the door thing when she was 10/11 and she was mad. We told her at least 10 times, DO NOT slam that door while she was hiking herself up the stairs and guess what? She slammed the door. Punishments were of no use, restriction, taking away things, etc. Finally, we used a Rosemond which was: We told her that a door was a privilege NOT a right and that, the next time she slammed it we were taking off the hinges and she could earn it back. So the next time she slammed it - you guessed it - right up the stairs my dh went and took it down. It stayed down for a month or so. It's never been slammed again.

I think it depends on the child and the situation. Most parenting has to be a combination of styles - especially with each child.