View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #107
Registered Users
Re: What do you wish you knew then? CDing a newborn

I am diapering a nb for the first time now. Here is what I learned:

It isn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be!

I didn't do anything special for the meconium poops. I just soak all my diapers in a scoop of oxiclean for 30 minutes before washing now. No stains from meconium or ebf poo so far and we are almost 2 weeks in.

I will say the first few days I just kinda stared at my stash for each change and said "Now what?" until I got into a groove.

I had an 8lb 2oz baby, and the oranges did NOT last long. I think she wore them for 3 days before I got brave enough to just fold down a yellow edge- and they fit SO much better. They are almost all we use now, with Imse Vimse Bumpy NB wool covers and some mama-made knitted wool. I use pfs during the day and Thirsties AIOs at night. As soon as her cord falls off we will be switching to BGOS- the Thirsties just fit her weird.

Also- it's ok it the wool goes over their little cord as long as the wet diaper is below the cord. Wool breathes, and hasn't bothered her one bit.

I have some KL0s- and I was grateful to have them the first few days when I was still kinda chicken to go full on pf. But I haven't used them since because they really don't seem to hold much. I don't know how, but a pf seems to hold more. Also, fidgeting with the snaps on her tiny, tiny waist was a pain in the butt. I prefer snaps in general, but I think I would stick with velcro on little babies.

Night time still give me fits a bit. I prefer natural fibers, but my babe started getting a rash when we did fitteds at night, even with wool. So I have been sticking with Thristies AIOs stuffed with a preemie prefold as a doubler, but they try to leak out the sides, so I put a sleep sack that I knitted over it and that works OK. I can't wait for her cord to fall off so we can do BGs at night. But then we will probably be dealing with the dreaded night time ammonia. *sigh* Nights are just harder, but at least we don't need sposies!
Jenn, mom to Trent, Gavin, Abbie, Carolyn, Bethany, and Ariel! is awesome,Swagbucks really works, and earn rebates with Ebates!
GodStillTalks is offline   Reply With Quote