View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #17
EcoTykesMama
Registered Users

Re: Diaper stink more about the water - My detergent exploration

Washing Soda

I spent a month using washing soda. At first I thought, hey this is great. NO stink, everything is working fine. Except eventually the problems did build up and by the end of the second week, I was desperately in search of a solution that did not involve me changing detergents before the end of the month.

In the end, I changed my wash routine. Previously, I was running two washes per diaper load. Now, I run one with an extra rinse, except I add 1-3 pots of water to the front loader (about 3-5 U.S. gallons) and I find it makes a huge difference. There were a lot of suds the first time I did this, now it's more reasonable.

In terms of comparing this detergent to all the others I've had, I would say washing soda (in soft water at least) works just as well as Country Save. The stink issues built up in the same time frame and needed about as much water to get out (if you are VERY careful with the Country Save as it's really easy to add too much to the load). I think if you had to choose between the two, I would go with the washing soda as it tends to be cheaper.

Read about my diapering detergent explorations here!
EcoTykesMama is offline   Reply With Quote