View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Re: IDSO Recipes that DO NOT contain

I will second the portabello mushrooms. The texture and taste is very similar to meat, I think he will like it. Put a tad bit of worchestier (sp) sauce or steak sauce on it to really bring out the meaty flavor. Seeing that he is a farm boy, meat and potatoes kind of guy he probably isn't into fresh fruits and veggies, but I would def encourage those w/ his health problems. And beans, there are so many ways to fix them and so many types. If you find out he can have chicken I would make a white chili w/ chicken and white beans.

Here are a couple of good bean recipes.

Navy Bean Soup
1 16 oz pk of Dry Navy Beans, rinsed
8 c water
1 c finely chopped carrots
1 c finely chopped celery, include leaves
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 c tomato vegetable cocktail juice (v-8)
1 T chicken bouillon (This will have a lot of salt you can omit)
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

In a large saucepan combine water and beans. Bring to a boil. Boil for 30 min, remove from heat and let sit 1 1/2 hrs until tender.

In a slow cooker, combine beans and water along w/ the rest of the ingredients Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hrs or until beans and vegetables are very tender.
You can put all or part in the blender to puree, as desired

Vegetarian Chili

1 can spicy chili beans
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 can pinquito beans or pinto beans, undrained
1 can chili style chunky tomatoes, undrained
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 teasp chili powder
1/8 teasp grownd read pepper

Place in slow cooker, Cover and cook 5-6 hrs on low. Serve w/ baked Tortilla strips

Baked Tortilla Strips
cut up tortillas into strips (a pizza wheel makes this easy) place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in 400 degree oven for 10-12 min until light brown and crisp.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote