View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
mommyofatoz
Registered Users
seller

Umbilical Hernia and Pregnancy...

When I was pregnant with my third child (2006), at about 8 months I started to experience pain about an inch to the right of my belly button. Of course the more I did, the worse it was. If I sat down, all was fine, but by the end of the pregnancy, every time I stood up, it felt as if my stomach was going to rip in half. I had to constantly put pressure on the spot to be able to do anything. I told my family doctor about this (who also delivered my first three babies), and he told me it sounded like I had an umbilical hernia. He said that if it bothered me after baby was born, I could have it fixed, but that if I was going to have any more kids, I should wait until I'm all done having kids. After ds was born, I had no problems whatsoever with it, and it was forgotten. Until...

Well, here I am, now 20 weeks pregnant. I've had slight hints of the pain since I was probably around 14/16 weeks, but nothing major. So today, I have done a lot of cleaning and going up and down stairs, lifting things (laundry baskets), and guess what...it started to hurt for real again. I know that it is the same thing I had going on before, only now I'm really worried. If it is already bothering me at 20 weeks, what's it going to be like when I'm full term? I have a new doctor now, cause my family doctor no longer does deliveries, and I will be going to see his on Tuesday. I plan on discussing this with him, my past, my worries, etc. Of course I will also be getting an ultrasound, so I was going to see if we should look at it while we are there...It's never been "officially" diagnosed, so I guess I would like to be sure that that is what it really is.

So, has anyone been through this? What were your symptoms? How did you cope? What did your dr. recommend? I actually remember towards the end of my pregnancy, borrowing a solar belt from my sister and wrapping that tight around my stomach so I had both my hands to do things. It's hard to get stuff done when one hand is occupied by applying pressure to stop pain in your abdomen!