View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning from BF at 12 months

Cutting out the pumping at work is a good start. If you're ok with nursing twice a day, why bother changing what isn't broken? When you go out of town, you and your baby will both be fine. I had to go out of town for four days on business when DJ was 15 months old. At that time, he was still nursing to sleep, 1-3 times during the night, first thing in the morning, and a couple of times a day when we were together (he had started refusing breastmilk in a cup when I was at work). I was a little worried but we were both fine. He stayed with my mother while I was gone. She had plenty of milk on hand in case he wanted it. The first night, he went to bed ok but woke up about an hour later. She offered him both a cup and a bottle of milk but he wouldn't take either and just went back to sleep. After that, he slept through the night the whole time! I had taken my pump with me but because of my schedule, I only got to pump a couple of times the first day. I wasn't miserable, so I figured it was ok. The next day I pumped first thing in the morning, at lunch, and at bedtime. After that, I didn't pump anymore at all. I was slightly full, but not engorged by any means. I was hoping that when I got home, DJ would just give up on nursing but he didn't. As soon as we walked in the house, he asked. That afternoon/evening/night, he seemed a little frustrated with my supply but by the next day, he was back on his normal routine which we were both happy with. He weaned himself at almost 19 months (when I was 4 months pregnant). I was VERY happy that he gave it up at that point, but I was also content to continue as long as he needed it. We cosleep so the nighttime sessions weren't too bad and the rest of it didn't bother me at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote