View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #508
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent! (recipes pg 1 & 16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaU View Post
Wow. That's all I can say.

I was just telling my DH the other day that I wanted to try making my own laundry detergent and here is the solution. As I want to make it as simple as possible, I think I'll just make the CD batch & use it for both the dipes & the clothes. I've been meaning to make some type of dryer sachets for scents. Anyone have any experience with this?

As for the dishwasher detergent...I may give it a shot as well. Since all of the ingredients will be on hand, I figure it couldn't hurt to try a couple of times.

For other household cleaners, I've been using my grandmother's recipe for window cleaner for years...1/2 cup ammonia, 1/8 cup white vinegar, 1 quart water. It works great and no streaks!

I was also happy to see that the mamas that had been using Charlies were happy with this CD detergent, as I've been using Charlies - and it's nearly gone!
I've been making my own dryer pouches for about 8 months now and I won't use anything else. I have even converted my parents to them. I use a 5" square, cotton pouch (usually a really bright print of heavier nap quilter's cotton) filled about 2/3 with flax seed and I take a 10" by 2" strip of heavy flannel, or corduroy, roll it up really tight and douse it with EO and put that in the pouch as well. But make sure that little strip is really rolled tightly and try to thoroughly saturate it with the EO, the scent lasts quite a while this way. Each pouch lasts me at lest 3 months, some have lasted for 5 months. HTH

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote