View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Frugal Eating Support Thread

We spend at LEAST $600 a month for 6 people.

We save money by not eating meat at every meal, as meat is very expensive and full of crap anyway. We get proteins from other sources and meat a few times a week only.

We do go through 1/2 gallon of milk a day and it's organic but that is one place we will never go back to regular milk on.

We shop Trader Joe's rather than whole foods, mostly. I do visit a whole foods maybe once a month.

We belong to Costco and they are getting more and more natural/organic foods in so we are able to save even more now! So we buy our meat, milk, eggs, cheese, juice and fruits/veggies there. Also, our paper towels and toilet paper there.

We make our bread and most of our cookies. Our kids eat fruits and cheese sticks for snacks and don't forget that eggs are VERY versitile and CHEAP!

We use cloth napkins when we eat so that we save on paper towels and use specially designated cloths for cleaning so that saves on paper towels too

We make our cleaners, mostly from baking soda and vinegar so we don't buy cleaners. It costs us about $4 max for these 2 items so cleaning isn't a money issue.

Of course we CD so that isn't an issue as well as using cloth wipes. We buy the trader Joe's laundry detergent, use 1/3 of their recommended and use borox to boost it as it's cheaper and lasts longer that way and does a fabulous job at it!

We buy ONLY what we need and make what we want so I'd have to say we are a pretty healthy family. Not only that but also the benefits of eating this way keeps us away from doctors offices so that saves us $20 a visit and then up to $20 per prescription and OTC meds.