Old 01-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:
Knitting tips, links and other useful info

Thanks to all the ladies who helped put this together! If you have more you want to add, please PM me and I will be happy to add it.

1. Where can I learn to knit if I'm totally new at it?

-Try finding a class at a local yarn shop or craft store (JoAnns, Michael's, etc). They often offer one-day beginner classes that will teach you the basics. Once you've learned the basics, it just takes time and practice.
-the DVD, Nici McNally's Complete Beginner's Guide to Knitting for those who don't have access to a LYS or craft store, or can't find the time to get out there to learn because they have a NB.

2. What is a good place online to learn basic and more complicated stitches and techniques?

www.knittinghelp.com

3. Where can I order yarn and needles online? **SUPERWASH WOOL IS NOT GOOD FOR LONGIES/SOAKERS/SHORTIES***
Patons or Cascade 220 are pretty easy to find at Joannes or LYS
www.knitpicks.com (very economical)
www.hyenacart.com (for fancier yarns)
www.etsy.com (for fancier yarns)
www.littleknits.com
www.alpacadirect.com has good prices on Cascade Yarns
www.yarn.com
www.elann.com
www.100purewool.com is one you will hear talked about a lot on DS, but shipping rates can be prohibitive unless you get in on a co-op. Luckily, those are easy to find.
www.threeirishgirls.com

4. What size needles are best for longies/woolies?

Most knitters choose sizes 4, 5, or 6 for the waistband, and sizes 6, 7, or 8 for the body and legs. For the waistband and body, a set of interchangeable circulars would be ideal for most knitters. They have them at knitpicks and craft/yarn stores. You might also want 16" circs, if the set doesn't include them. Try to get ones with a flexible cord. For the legs, many knitters use double-pointed needles.
Another alternative to Double pointed needles for the legs is 12" circular needles.

5. What weight yarn is best for woolies?

Worsted, Aran, or Bulky weight will work well. Worsted is very popular.

6. GOOD PATTERNS:
Sheepy pants
Frecklebottoms
Adorabubble They also have a yahoo group you can join
Wooly wonders patterns
Little Turtle Knits
Skirties: Over the moon

7. What yardage am I going to get from the weight of yarn?

4 oz BBR = 250+ yards
4 oz Cestari Fine = 200 yards
4 oz BFL = 205
4 oz Bulky Gaia = 152.6,
4 oz Montana Merino = 280
4 oz Austalian single ply = 208
4 oz Gaia worsted = 280

8. What types of wool should I use?

Gaia
BFL
Corriedale
3 and 1 ply Merino
Peruvian wool such as Cascade 220 or Knit Picks Wool of the Andes

Pill free and durable
Montana Targhee
Peace Fleece
Cestari Fine or Superfine
Black Berry Ridge

9. What materials do I need to buy to learn how to knit?
a. Size 7 or 8 knitting needles. If your main goal is to knit wool diaper covers, these should be circular needles, with 16" cables. Bamboo needles are recommended for beginners as they are "stickier" and help prevent dropped stitches, but you can knit faster on metal needles with practice.

b. Worsted-weight yarn. A light color will help you see your stitches more easily, and you DEFINITELY want a smooth textured yarn. Stay away from boucles and eyelash yarns while you are still learning! Cheap, readily available yarns suited to learning (and diaper cover making) include Paton's Classic Merino Wool and Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool.

c. A crochet hook in the same size as your knitting needles (a G or H hook) will be useful for picking up dropped stitches.

d. A yarn needle or tapestry needle for weaving in the ends of your finished product.

These are good to have eventually, but not critical tools right away:

e. Stitch markers to mark beginnings and ends of short rows. You can use loops of scrap yarn or old earrings, but stitch markers are easier to work with and cheap.

f. Point protectors to prevent stitches from sliding off your needles when you are storing your work-in-progress.

SOME MORE ADVANCED KNITTING HELP FOR KNITTING WOOL COVERS:
How to do a faux gauge swatch in the round

Weaving in ends

What do you do with the last stitch after you bind off?
Yarn over short rows
Stripes
Another way to do short rows

Last edited by VinhThiMom; 01-11-2009 at 06:41 PM.
VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote