View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Am I doing something wrong?...(cast iron skillet)

I think my cast iron is starting to rust

I bought a 12 inch cast iron skillet about 2-3 months ago. It is a pre-seasoned one. It worked great, the only thing that has stuck is eggs and it was just around the perimeter of the skillet. I have only washed it with warm water and a little salt if I need some extra scrubbing action. If I wash it I always use crisco to season it a bit more. I season it on the stove top. I have noticed now that the center of the skillet is nice, black and smooth but around the perimeter it is looked kind of brownish orange. It is pretty faint, you have to get it in the light at an angle to see it good but I noticed it enough to take a closer look just while it was sitting on the stove top. It is also rougher to the touch in that area. Is this the beginning of rust? I am assuming it is. I read that using oils to season is not the best so I used butter this morning and baked it in the oven, it still looks the same, not that I was expecting anything drastic to happen. If I is rust starting do I have to scrub the seasoning off and start all over? I hope not, that is why I bought a pre-seasoned one. I dont know if this is normal but it always feels greasy to the touch. I have been storing it on the stove because I was afraid of to much moisture getting to it if it was stacked in the cabinet with other pots and pans. We also have a humidifier in our kitchen (very dry in the house this winter) near the cabinet so I wanted to keep this skillet away from it just in case. So am I doing something wrong? Is this what I get for buying a cheap skillet (I think it was $20, have to ask DH to be sure)? What do I do now?

I really want to take care of this skillet, I love cooking pancakes and cornbread in it