View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #205
maman08
Registered Users
seller

Re: a basic weekend... chat and share a recipe????

Just jumping in...I started to skim through the posts but I don't have time to read all of them so hello everyone and I hope you had a great weekend! Ours was super relaxing...didn't even leave the house until I went over to a friend's house to learn how to spin on a wheel yesterday afternoon. I bought my spinning wheel online last night, and as long as it gets to her house in time my mom will bring it with her when she comes in 10 days!

We also filed our taxes on Saturday...we're getting a huge refund. Of course, the huge chunk of money we lost this year in the market is part of the reason for it, so I have sort of mixed feelings. It's a tiny fraction of what we lost, but I keep telling myself that things will pick up again and all the money we worked so hard to put away will hopefully be recovered before we really need it for buying a home or whatever. It definitely gives us incentive to stay overseas where housing is paid for, though, as taking any of the remaining money out for a down payment in the next couple of years would really suck.

Today I'm going to go meet a CDing mama here in Ankara, I'm so excited! I finally got DS to take his morning nap, so I need to shower and get dressed and all that good stuff before he wakes up so we can head out right away.

DH and I were talking again last night about wanting to adopt an Afghan child. There's really nothing we can do, thanks to a bad combo of Afghan and U.S. law I can't see how it would work, but it breaks my heart. So many orphans there, and the institutions are death traps, literally. We speak the language, and we're both in love with Afghan history and culture. We give money to a private orphanage there every year, but I refuse to give money to the government-run programs as they're horrifically corrupt. It kills me that there's nothing we can do to help.

maman08 is offline   Reply With Quote