View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 09:57 PM   #23
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Re: Extreme Constipation in Two-Year-Old - Ideas?

I didn't read all of the posts so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

DO NOT GIVE HER THE LAXATIVE!!!!!!

My son has the exact same problem and he is on a stool softener. A stool softener will bring in the fluids from outside of the intestines and soften the stool. A laxative will cause the intestines to make more stool and you do NOT want to do that. You need to get the stool that is backed up out of there first.

Does she have any food allergies? My sons have a milk and soy protein allergy which causes their digestive systems to be all wacky. You'll really have to push to get a ped to talk about this. I would start by taking her off of all things dairy and soy and see if that helps. I have put both of my sons on a vegan diet to try and get it taken care of.

Children do not need milk and cheese for calcium. There are a lot of lefty greens that have tons of calcium and you can give her calcium-fortified juice (which will help the constipation).

I was given this to read and, although he doesn't show all of the signs, I can see this becoming a symptom quickly. It will give you something to print out and take to your ped to get some info.
http://www.naspghan.org/sub/encopresis.asp

Good luck!! I know it can be tough to see her going through this.