View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
luvmyfluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
advice after tonsillectomy

Hi mamas. I am in need of some advice from those of you who have been there, done that. My (4yr. old) son had a tonsillectomy/adnoidectomy last Monday (so it's been a whole week already). He's still in pretty bad pain, to the point of tears at times. He was in the ER on the Wed. following the surgery because he was dehydrated. The pain had gotten out of control and they gave him morphine, finally 8 hours later they got it back under control and since then I've been religious about giving him his pain meds EVERY 4 hours. He's taking Tylenol 3 w/ codeine.

My question is this, I know it takes a while to recover, sometimes a couple weeks. But is this much pain normal a week later? Shouldn't he be getting gradually better? Or is it one of those things that they are miserable for quite a while and then one day they feel so much better?? I know a few people who have had this procedure done and most of them have said that they recovery was pretty fast, like wanting to eat and drink pretty normally within 3-4 days. For one person it took a month to recover but that was because she had asthma too and it aggravated the healing as well as reopening the wounds (not our situation, thank goodness). He's not bleeding at all.

I just don't know what to think, I hate to see him suffer Any words of advice? Thanks so much!!!!

Laura
luvmyfluff is offline   Reply With Quote