View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
HELP! Two year old sleeping problems!

Okay, my two year old (turned two at the end of January) is a terrible sleeper. She had a good phase between 3 and 4 months. Another around 18 months or so. And good means up once a night

She doesn't sleep through the night, not even close! she weaned just after Christmas, I had managed to night-wean in October/November, but when we went away at the end of November she started nursing a lot more including night. We slowed it a bit when we got home.

She has a bottle of milk before bed. She has blankets she also likes for soothing herself. I never understood why she gave up her soother so early as she really relies on sucking for soothing. Now that she doesn't have a soother, doesn't nurse, she is on a kick with her bottles of milk. In the night, mostly she wants milk to get back to sleep. I'm not happy about this because I worry about her teeth She does tend to finish drinking, put the bottle down and then roll over to the sleep, but sometimes I pass out first!

We don't full-time co-sleep but we are needing to spend some nights/parts of nights in her bed, partly for our sanity and partly to help her sleep a bit more.

She doesn't go down to sleep easy either! We've been trying to stick to timing of dinner, then bath, then books in bed, then sleep. We lay with her till asleep. At any point she sometimes seems to get a second wind and is impossible to get down. Other times she wants the other parent or something else that winds her up and if she starts to get upset she is near impossible to calm down to get her to sleep!

I am soooo tired right now! Other things are going on in our family life, so I know that makes it harder for her, but she has never slept well or through the night so there is something more fundamental below! i've tried a few things with limited success ever! I've been trying to substitute water for milk in the night. It works the first night, but then she catches on and won't take water. I think I might need to go cold turkey and deal with an upset toddler for a couple nights, but I hate the crying and it is brutal on me too!!

Any ideas? What has worked for you? I try to tell myself that it can only get better, but it manages to get worse! HELP!

Thanks for reading