View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #17
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone here have a son with adhd?

My older ds is adhd, but not formally diagnosed. Both his teacher and I figured that he was. As it is not interfering with his education or anything I'm not going to medicate him. His teacher said that he is one of the smartest kids in the class, head of the reading group, but he just can't sit still. So he's got a reward system that he gets when he sits still, we're still working on it. But if it gets to the point where his teacher feels that she can't deal with it anymore we'll homeschool him again.

As far as diet we don't eat a lot of processed foods. But what's made the biggest difference has been cutting out artificial colors. It was like a switch, before he was a hellion. I couldn't control him at all, his moods were extreme and all over the place. But now he's just extremely active.

vintagegyrl- we don't do quiet time. It never made sense to me, that my child is so active I should try and force them to calm down. So we do the opposite, we'll do active time, I will send them to the backyard or the basement, have them throw the ball with the dog, ride the bike, I have an indoor bowling set they love. I will set up a active thing to do and then leave them to it.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote